Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Wedding Story: Kelly!

I am very excited to announce a new addition to Wedding Wednesdays - A Wedding Story! Every couple of weeks, we'll have an interview with either a past RI wife or a future RI bride. The hope is that through their experiences, they can help you to better plan and prepare for YOUR wedding!

If you have any questions or comments about the featured wedding, feel free to let me know in the comments section below!

Our very first Wedding Story is Kelly Soares. With that, here's Kelly...

When did you get married?
We got married on May, 24th, 2009.

Where was your ceremony? Reception?
The ceremony was at the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul and the reception was at the Biltmore Hotel, both in Providence.

What made you choose that reception location?
I have loved the Biltmore since I was a little girl. We really wanted the wedding to have a classic, timeless feel and the Biltmore's ballroom, designed in the 1920s, was the perfect venue. I love the chandeliers, the details on the walls, and the beautiful views of downtown Providence.

What was your favorite aspect of your wedding?
My favorite aspect of the wedding was how we incorporated as much of our families and our history as we could. Our wedding cake was an exact replica of my parents' cake, and the topper was the same one that my husband's parents' had on their cake. The linens were the same ones used at my parents' wedding. We had a traditional Portuguese fado singer perform during dinner. Best of all, my father in law surprised us with a performance by the traditional Portuguese dancing group that my husband and I danced in, which is how we met.

What was the best resource you used during the planning process?
My best resource was other brides, since I was able to get excellent recommendations and suggestions. I also took to heart the advice of my amazing vendors. They are professionals who have been in the wedding business for years, so they know which other vendors are reputable and consistently provide great services.

What's the one thing you would have done differently?
I would have eaten more wedding cake! It was delicious and I barely got in a bite. But I did dance the night away with my husband and my guests, and I wouldn't change that for the world.

Any advice for future brides?
My best advice is to be prepared for the unexpected and enjoy every moment! It flies by, so really take the time to celebrate your wedding day. You're not likely to have all of the people who are so important to you and your new husband under one roof again, partying the night away, so make sure to appreciate that. Steal a few moments in private with your husband, share an extra special hug with your parents, have a toast with your wedding party, really enjoy each and every moment.

Nicely said, Kelly. How often do you have ALL of your family and friends in the same place for such a joyous occasion? It may never happen like that again, so enjoy every second of it with all of your loved ones!


Photo courtesy of Melissa Robotti Photography


If you'd like to be a Featured Wife or Bride, please email me at legallybride@hotmail.com


And now a look back: